Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Potato Soup

Around here, Po' Folks are known for having a couple of staples in their pantrys: Beans & Taters....If ya got ya some beans and taters around you won't be going hungry any time soon. But, I get a little bored with the everyday beans and taters; even though there are probably about a million different ways to make those taters. When I really wanna feel like I'm living high on the hog, I chunk up some of those taters and whip up some good ole tater soup.It leaves my family feeling like royalty every time. I did my shopping at the local Aldi and got some good deals on my groceries this week. I calculated how much money I had in the ingredients and broke it down to price per serving....Here's the lowdown on the cost:

Taters: I bought a 10 lb. bag for $3.29 used half...so cost was $1.65
Onions and Garlic: .40
Cream Cheese: $1.19
Chicken Broth: 2 @ $1.20 each= $2.40
Cheese: $1
Bacon: about a dollar's worth
Grand total: $7.75
12 servings....so...drum roll please...............................................................................................
Total cost per serving: $0.64
Not so shabby, huh? Plus, if you had your own stock you would have saved an extra $2.40. You just can't beat that with a stick.

 Here's what ya need to do it.

Ingredients:

 2- 32 oz. containers of chicken broth, better yet, If you've cooked some chicken lately and have some stock on hand, use that...it'll really save you some mulah

1 medium onion diced

about 5 lbs of taters....wash 'em real good and cut 'em into chunks...1/2 inch or so. I like the skins, plus I'm lazy and leaving them on really saves me some time.  If ya don't want the peels in there, just peel those babies and keep a truckin'...

garlic if you like it and I LOVE it: I use about 6 or 8 cloves diced up really really good, or you could use minced if you prefer

seasoning salt of your choice: I use the cheapo 50 cent kind from Wally World and it's good....try 1- 1 1/2 tbs.

Pepper....We love pepper so we use a lot...just season it to your own taste. You know those taste buds better than I do....

Cream cheese: an 8 oz pkg.

Cheddar cheese: shredded for garnishin' ...If ya don't have it don't sweat it...but I love cheese!

Crumbled Bacon: fry up an extra couple of pieces the morning ya make the soup and save 'em for evening.


Step 1: 

Throw the taters, onion, stock, garlic and your seasonings into a big ole pot. Give 'er a stir....Cook those bad boys on medium high heat for an hour and a half or so....just keep a check on the taters. When they're good and soft start kinda smooshing them with your spoon. I like to take a couple of cups out and put 'em in my blender to kinda puree them a lil' bit and then add them back in. You don't want it all pureed cause you wanna have some of those good chunky pieces left in there, but this step just adds to the creamy texture.

Step 2: Cut your heat back a little bit to around medium and add your cream cheese. Let it melt till it combines with the soup...Stir it every little chance ya get.

Step 3: Spoon it into bowls and garnish....Nothin' to this!

Step 4: Hold yer Hubby back...That man's gonna RUN back for seconds; maybe even thirds if he's a real big boy....Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment