Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chicken Pie

I'm not sure how long I have been making chicken pie. I'm not sure where the recipe actually came from. I know that years and years ago, my first mother-in-law made it all the time....Hmmm..first mother-in-law...that sounds horrible. I've only had two of 'em yall. Anyway, This is cheap, easy, and so good you can't help but go back for seconds. Fix yourself some tater salad and green beans to go with it.

Here's what ya need:

Chicken, I use three leg quarters, or you could use chicken breasts if you prefer..I just happen to like dark meat.

a can of cream of chicken soup (again...DO NOT waste money of the name brand..unless it's on sale and ends up being cheaper)

2 c.. of the chicken broth reserved from boiling your chicken

1 stick butter or margarine

1 c. flour

1 c. buttermilk

Here's what ya do:

Step 1: 

Preheat yer' oven to 400 degrees.

Step 2: Boil yer' chicken in a pot till it's fallin' off the bones. Let it cool, then debone it and shred it up and throw it into a 9 X 13 casserole.

Step 3: 

Toss yer' cream of chicken and yer' broth into the casserole with the chicken. Use a fork to mix everything around real good and get most of your lumps out. Or you could mix the soup and broth in a separate bowl and then pour it over the chicken. I don't do that just because it's another dang dish to wash.

Step 4: 

Melt your margarine in a medium bowl. Add flour and mix it till it's good and smooth. 

Step 5: Add yer' buttermilk to the butter/flour mixture and stir it till it's smooth.

Step 6: Pour over top of the chicken mixture.

Step 7: Bake for around 30 minutes or so, or until the bread is nice and brown. 

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment