Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Tuna Cakes

Okay, so most of y'all have had Salmon cakes before; especially if you live in the south. Salmon cakes, or as some folks say, Salmon patties are a southern delicacy.  I don't like cooking salmon cakes, just because I think that it stinks and I hate picking out the stuff. So.....I make my little version with tuna. I love tuna. I could eat it every single day, and my Tuna Cakes are a family favorite. They're cheap and easy. They don't take long to make, and they're really yummy! The dill sauce I make for these things goes so well with them. They taste really good if you fix 'em along with pasta salad and green peas!



Here's what ya need;

3 cans of tuna in water; drained
3 tbs. mayo (you can use the light if you're worried about calories, but I like regular)
1/2 c. ritz cracker crumbs ( I just crush 'em in my mini food processor)& I never use the name brand stuff unless it's on sale...the generic works just fine
1/4 tsp. dill seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil

Here's what ya do:
Step 1: heat a couple tbs of olive oil in a skillet, I usually heat it on med. high heat
Step 2: Empty yer' tuna into a medium bowl
Step 3: dump in yer' mayo, cracker crumbs, dill, salt & pepper
Step 4:shape into patties and fry them in yer' skillet until they're golden brown
Step 5: take 'em out of yer' pan and place 'em on a plate with some paper towels to absorb some of that extra oil.

**The measurements of mayo & cracker crumbs are approximations. For whatever reason, I usually end up playing around a little adding this and that till I get things to a good consistency. You want the tuna to hold together and not be crumbly. If it's a little too crumbly, just add some more crumbs till you get it like ya want it.

The sauce:

Ingredients:
 8 oz. sour cream
2 tbsp. dill seasoning

Mix them together till smooth. Serve over warm tuna patties. This stuff is so good y'all!


** Variations:

Sometimes I'll put a little sweet pickle relish in my patties. It changes it up a little bit and it's really good. You'll like this if you use it in your tuna salad.

If you're out of ritz crackers you can replace it with saltine cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, or seasoned bread crumbs...whatever you have on hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment